Microsoft / Xbox
Since its launch in 2001, Xbox has enjoyed great popularity. But its broader positioning from gaming to delivering more of a media-centered experience was confusing to video gamers. The confusion was especially evident at Best Buy, one of the product’s leading outlets. Xbox-creator Microsoft asked WD to reimagine the Best Buy Xbox section to better communicate the product’s story of gaming and entertainment. Working from research provided by Microsoft, we set out to leverage current assets to create an immersive experience that showcased the Xbox ecosystem.
We reinvented the Best Buy Xbox section to address the different interests and needs of the product’s two main markets: gifters and gamers. Displays for not-so-Xbox-savvy gifters were designed to inform their selections and guide their purchases. For Xbox-knowledgeable gamers, product displays were developed to amplify their excitement with dynamic graphics, messaging and special offers to make the Xbox section more engaging and easier to shop. The reinvented Xbox section is currently being rolled out in over 30 Best Buys across the country.
- Leveraged current displays, fixtures, gondolas and endcap space to attract and engage customers and reinforce brand position as the center of customer’s gaming and entertainment universe.
- Reinvented Best Buy Xbox section using Illuminated beacons, curved billboards and changeable messaging panels to address differing needs and interests of gifters and gamers and provide immersive experience showcasing all Xbox has to offer.
- Designed gifters section to include displays designed to provide a starting place, inform their choices and guide their selections.
- Reimagined gamers section to attract and engage customers, amplify their gaming excitement, and communicate special offers and upcoming releases.
- Reorganized Xbox merchandise for ease of shopping by linking related products and titles within major product categories.