Everyone knows about “tailgating.” But millions of people can only follow their favorite NFL teams at home--enter “homegating”. In partnership with many of its licensing partners, the NFL developed an array of team-branded products that fans can use to create game-day celebrations in their homes.
WD was tasked with helping promote the idea—and the products—in more captivating ways at retail. The Green Bay Packers stadium pro shop was selected as the site to test our design strategy for creating a retail space that markets both the “homegating” concept and the items available for Green Bay "homegaters."
We conducted focus group research to gain valuable insights into shopper motivations and the details of planning a game-day party. Using what we learned, we designed signage featuring inspirational photography alongside the “homegating” logo to help build an understanding of the concept. We also provided designs for fixture headers as well as planogram and merchandise arrangement recommendations. Using our designs and material specs, the NFL produced and installed the solution in time for the 2015-16 season. Early results were outstanding, with merchandise flying off the shelves.
"Since the space design, signage and display elements were installed in early October, we haven’t been able to keep the homegating merchandise on the shelves."
— Green Bay Packers pro shop manager
- Conducted focus group research into shopper behaviors and factors involved in planning in-home parties built around NFL game-day celebrating.
- Developed a retail brand execution strategy based on shopper profiles identified in focus group research.
- Created eye-catching designs that paired lifestyle photography with the “homegating” logo to help tell the “homegating” story in more powerful, intuitive ways.
- Designed fixture headers and additional signage to complement the overall display space design.
- Provided planogram and merchandise adjacency recommendations to maximize awareness, storytelling, sales, plus provided detailed specs and materials recommendations for client production of display items.