The Macy’s Effect
It was February 28, 2005. The day Terry Lundgren, CEO of Federated Department Stores, announced one of the largest deals in retail history: The merger of 491 May Department Stores with 450 locations operated by Federated. You could sum up the deal’s promise, as pitched to investors on Wall Street, with one word: Big. Lundgren wanted scale—economies of scale, efficiencies, and synergies. Get big enough, and the competition couldn’t touch you.
In this Issue
- The Macy’s Effect: How Macy’s Dismantled Everything Once Right about Department Stores
- From Omni-Channel to Omni-Commerce
- Would You Use Amazon Go (a checkout free grocery store)?
- The Home Depot: Designing Innovative Experiences to Empower Shoppers and Associates
- What If Drones Start Delivering Packages to your Home?
Sign up to get trends and insights from the best thinkers at WD delivered direct to your inbox. Don't worry, we won't SPAM you, Wayfind is only released six times per year.