Whole Foods is, in many ways, the quintessential specialty retailer. Going well beyond local sourcing and sustainable business practices, the chain uniquely tailors its stores to local environments, demographics, and tastes. WD has brought the full breadth of our capabilities to the company’s multi-faceted needs, our consumer insights, creative and technical expertise complements the essence of the Whole Foods brand.
Starting with a single store in Chicago, WD provided architectural services (exterior design) and engineering, and then supported the entire development process. Based on that initial success, we engaged with Whole Foods in additional projects including consumer insights + trend reporting, store design and concept work, fixture plans, back-of-house design, commissary layouts, and more. We soon moved into full shell design, interior and exterior work as the business relationship grew into an ever wider-ranging relationship.
36 projects completed globally
- Conducted research and obtained consumer insights + trend reports to gain future knowledge of customer direction.
- Designed award winning interior and exterior store concepts.
- Provided planning and operation services to compliment the design.
- Created design standards and helped map an ideal development process.
- Provided shell documentation, store planning, construction estimates, and post-documentation services.
- WD’s in-house architecture & engineering, structural, and entitlements team reduced late-stage design changes.
- Determined ways Whole Foods could control building costs while still providing appropriately localized design.