Customer Service at the Center of Store Design
Since 1999, WD has worked closely with The Home Depot, completing over 1900 projects, from store design and digital integration to managing the development of new stores during the company’s greatest period of growth. Recently The Home Depot turned to WD in its search for an innovative new store design that would make its stores the consistent first choice of both professional contractors and DIY shoppers. The goal was to overhaul the customer experience by empowering shoppers to easily and confidently find and select the products they seek, allowing store associates to be devoted to areas where they have the most value.
A carefully thought-out strategic approach guided development of the design, creating a comprehensive “total store” plan that touches everything from the store entrance and showroom to paint, garden and customer service areas. Appliances, cabinetry, fixtures, window treatments, flooring and home decor— have been brought together in a consolidated Design Showroom where associates can better assist shoppers with planning, design and purchase options.
A Solutions Center provides space for DIY education while showcasing The Home Depot expertise through digital content and services. The new Paint Solutions Desk makes it easier for customers to select paint samples and purchase painting supplies. The new design provides professional contractors with a dedicated space of their own where they can find bulk product supplies and areas for planning and consulting. Indoor and Outdoor Garden Shops have been reworked to make them more shopper friendly and enhance the presentation of products.
- Shopper Research & Insights •
- Business Strategy •
- Marketing Communications •
- Environments Design •
- Design Documentation •
- In-Store Digital Engagement •
- Operations Assessment •
- VR/AR/MR Experiences •
- Stylistic Renderings •
- Color Elevations •
- 3D Animations •
- Motion Graphics •
- Interactive Applications •
- Developed a comprehensive wayfinding program that touches all areas of the store to provide both professional contractors and DIYers with a greatly improved customer experience for self-direction and product selection.
- Designed inviting aisle and shelf layouts, empowering customers to more easily find and select products through better organization, wayfinding and icon-driven signage.
- Increased awareness and operational efficiency of the BOPIS offer through new innovative locker areas where online shoppers can pick up orders without assistance.
- Created a comprehensive Design Showroom, bringing together in one area appliances, cabinetry, fixtures, flooring, home decor and related products with planning and consulting areas.
- Enhanced paint desk, indoor and outdoor garden shops, and designed a new Solutions Center for customer education and demonstrations showcasing The Home Depot expertise and services.
- Expanded and improved area dedicated to the professional contractor including increased products services and additional POS terminals.
- Combined multiple functions to create universal checkout points that reduce wait times and provide improved customer service.
- Created new display areas for community news and other postings of interest to the local market.